Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sambucus..yuck!



I am always looking for a healthier way to take care of Ellie. I drink organic milk and buy organic veggies and meat so that her milk isn't full of hormones and antibiotics; I give her a Probiotic to help with her immune system; I give her daily vitamin C; and now she takes daily Sambucus. Sambucus, also called elderberry is another immune booster. I just don't want to pump her full of antibiotics or Tylenol every time she is sick. The goal is to decrease the amount of time she is sick by giving her all of this. Daycare is really the pitfall of it all. She has already had RSV and is now congested again. Needless to say, we are beefing up her immune system by giving these things more often. The first time I gave her the Sambucus, I mixed it in 1/2 ounce of water and she did NOT like it. I give her the vitamin C just straight up and decided to do the same with the Sambucus after she turned her nose up. It tastes just like wine...haha. I cant imagine why she doesn't like it! Anyway, all is ok now, she just takes it. And hey, best to start early when she doesn't know any different. I just cant stand to see her sick...it breaks my heart! I'm sure I sound like a freak giving all this stuff to her, but oh well. The way I see it, you do what you can. I mean, I still eat at McDonald's and Chicken Express. I still buy processed foods, but there are a few things I would rather have organic. Semi-crunchy is what I am - organic milk, organic meats, vaccine delaying, selective vaccinating, on demand breast feeding, supplement giving kind of momma. And yes, Jon thinks I am crazy.

3 comments:

  1. I drink organic milk and use mostly organic dairy just because I think it all tastes better. A recent issue of Martha Stewart listed the vegetables you should really try to eat organic and ones where it doesn't matter very much (because they have a thick rind or something).

    http://tinyurl.com/ykjxsgd

    It is a pretty interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm very interesting! Thanks. And thanks for being a loyal poster. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just keep providing cute Ellie pics ... I will keep reading. :)

    ReplyDelete